[Printing-architecture] Q: Dot-by-dot (dot perfect) raster printing?

Michael Sweet msweet at msweet.org
Thu Jun 3 18:32:29 UTC 2021

Honoh,

> On Jun 3, 2021, at 3:50 AM, Honoh Suzuki <honoh at sci.u-toyama.ac.jp> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Sorry for the multi-posting (I first tried Gutenprint in vain).  I have a newbie question.
>
> Is it possible to do raster printing dot by dot (dot perfect)?

In general, no.  You can be dot-aligned but most printers will take a 300/360/600/720dpi image and upscale and dither it to a higher resolution with the corresponding colors and dot sizes.

If you generate a printer-specific language like PCL or ESC/P, it is possible to send bitmap graphics (or in the case of many Epson printers, 2-bit per color graphics) that are not altered by the printer, but this is very printer-specific.