[Printing-architecture] OpenPrinting News

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Wed Oct 13 11:57:32 UTC 2021

On 13/10/2021 12:28, Zdenek Dohnal wrote:
> Hi Till,
>
> thank you for the news!
>
> A note regarding the news:
>
> Ad GTK temp queues and cups-browsed usefulness - the feature is
> implemented only for GTK3+, so apps with older GTKs still needs a
> permanent queue for local printer (f.e. gimp and thunderbird).

We are already transitioning to GTK4 and there are still apps using
GTK2. Does GTK/GNOME upstream still provide fixes for GTK2?

> Additionally, Brian Potkin from Debian found out some problems with
> ipp-usb supported devices [1], does it work in GTK3 apps in Ubuntu?

I can reproduce his problem on Ubuntu 21.10. I have answered his bug
report. It can also be a bug in CUPS or ipp-usb. The "driverless"
utility of cups-filters at least can correctly communicate with the
printer and obtain a PPD, whereas CUPS (2.3.3op2) seems to have problems
(error when creating queue with '-m everywhere"). So most probably CUPS bug.

> And some apps (f.e. firefox) started to use their own print dialog
> without temp queue support [2], so cups-browsed is still needed for them

I have checked in Ubuntu 21.10 and seen that FF has now a print dialog
like Chrome, and Thunderbird has this dialog now, too. Nice that they
add print dialogs with preview but why do they stay so hard on this
obsolete API?

> and Qt...

Is there anyone who does anything with the print dialog?

> Additionally, cups-browsed still is the only one automatic way how to
> get printers from non-local server, until I'll get a time to get my
> hands on CUPS profiles, together with load balancing, clustering and
> high availability features of cups-browsed.

What do you mean with this? Do you have any intentions to improve
cups-browsed? Or even to move parts of its functionality into CUPS?