[Printing-architecture] OpenPrinting News

Zdenek Dohnal zdohnal at redhat.com
Wed Oct 13 12:32:24 UTC 2021

On 10/13/21 13:57, Till Kamppeter wrote:
> On 13/10/2021 12:28, Zdenek Dohnal wrote:
>> Hi Till,
>>
>> thank you for the news!
>>
>> A note regarding the news:
>>
>> Ad GTK temp queues and cups-browsed usefulness - the feature is
>> implemented only for GTK3+, so apps with older GTKs still needs a
>> permanent queue for local printer (f.e. gimp and thunderbird).
>
> We are already transitioning to GTK4 and there are still apps using GTK2.
Heh, you don't want to know that there are apps even on GTK 1 :) (this
year there was initiative to remove GTK 1 from Fedora, I'm not sure how
it ended - so maybe some GTK 1 packages in other distros as well )
> Does GTK/GNOME upstream still provide fixes for GTK2?
IIRC some critical fixes are still applied, but temp queue functionality
in GTK3 is too complex to backport...

>> And some apps (f.e. firefox) started to use their own print dialog
>> without temp queue support [2], so cups-browsed is still needed for them
>
> I have checked in Ubuntu 21.10 and seen that FF has now a print dialog
> like Chrome, and Thunderbird has this dialog now, too. Nice that they
> add print dialogs with preview but why do they stay so hard on this
> obsolete API?
I guess they just don't know, although I pass my notes from PWG spring
meetup into devel discussions since 2018 and creating wikis with
explanations.

>> and Qt...
>>

> Is there anyone who does anything with the print dialog?
Unfortunately, I don't know anyone from Qt upstream...

>> Additionally, cups-browsed still is the only one automatic way how to
>> get printers from non-local server, until I'll get a time to get my
>> hands on CUPS profiles, together with load balancing, clustering and
>> high availability features of cups-browsed.
>
> What do you mean with this? Do you have any intentions to improve
> cups-browsed? Or even to move parts of its functionality into CUPS?

Aha, sorry - my bad sentence constructions... to keep it simple -
cups-browsed is still needed for clustering, high availability, load
balancing and automatic installation of print queue from other network.

For the last - automatic 'installation' (read as its availability in
print dialog) of print queue(s) from other network, I'm planning to
implement Mike's solution - printer profiles - till CUPS 3.0 is released
(see https://github.com/OpenPrinting/cups/issues/207).

But my personal wish - IMHO those cups-browsed features would fit nicely
into CUPS Sharing module in the future, but that's just wish.

>    Till

Zdenek Dohnal
Software Engineer
Red Hat Czech - Brno TPB-C