[Foomatic] Using usb IDs for autodetection

Joe Shaw joe at ximian.com
Tue Apr 13 09:01:43 PDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-04-13 at 10:51, Johannes Meixner wrote:
> > You should try it out on a Mac, it's really nice actually.
>
> Of course automated configfuration is really nice.
> But more and better printer drivers are nicer ;-)

Well, the best printer driver should just be chosen.  I don't really
understand the 10-different-drivers-per-printer thing in YaST, XD2 and
others.  I know they're autogenerated from foomatic, but if it's the
best driver, then it should be the driver.  If it isn't, or worse yet
doesn't work, then it shouldn't be there at all. :)

I'm not advocating the removal of the printer tool or anything, there's
definitely a place for it.  It'd just be nice if we could avoid it
entirely unless you needed to change something about the configuration.

> I don't have a running Mac OS - therefore a question:
> Is there a CD (or floppy) from the printer manufacturer involved
> or does the automated configfuration work out of the box with
> only the Mac OS software?

Mac OS obviously can only autoconfigure printers it knows about.  So for
really new printers that aren't yet supported in the OS, you can usually
install the drivers off of the CD.  But for the vast majority of
printers they're already there, and Apple adds the drivers as they
update the OS (which is pretty frequently).

Thanks,
Joe