[Foomatic] Some foomatic-db issues - based on 20040517 release

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmx.net
Thu Jun 10 08:30:47 PDT 2004

Sorry for the late answer, I was on the Fórum Internacional Software
Livre 2004 in Brazil last week.

Marcelo, muito obrigado pelo relatório.

I have fixed all these issues now. Please see my comments below.

    Till

Marcelo Ricardo Leitner wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> After doing some tests with foomatic, which tried to configure every printer
> with every possible driver for it, I got some results:
>

> The following driver has empty prototype of the command line, and the ppd
> generated sets gs command to nothing:
> lj5mono, lj4dith, pxlcolor, cljet5c, iwlo, iwlp and iwlq

Sometimes there are two or more driver entries but for all of them there
is only one PPD. Then the PPD is generated by one of these entries and
the others have empty command lines and therefore do not produce PPDs.
On the linuxprinting.org web sites are appropriate remarks in the texts
of the driver entries which lead you to the correct drivers. For a local
Foomatic database, especially if you ship it in a distro you should:

1. Delete all driver XML files for drivers which you do not ship with
the distro.

2. Delete all driver XML files with empty command lines. This can be
done automatically by running the "foomatic-cleanupdrivers" script of
the foomatic-db-engine package.

After having done this, your printer setup tool should only show
printer/driver combos valid for your distro.

> The drivers stc740ih.upp and stc740p.upp should have 'S' from 'Stc' in
> uppercase, according to EPS Ghostscript main installation. Without this the
> driver is not found.

Fixed.

> HP-DeskJet_500:
> ==============
>
> [*] foomatic-configure command used:
>
> foomatic-configure -p HP-DeskJet_500 -d pcl3 -n masstest
>
> [*] theory:
>
> http://home.t-online.de/home/Martin.Lottermoser/gs-pcl3.html
>
>    -dDryTime=delay
>
>            With the exception of the DeskJets 500 and 500C, series-500 DeskJet printers can be told to guarantee a minimum
>            drying time of delay seconds before the next page of the same print job is dropped on a newly printed page. (This
>            interval can be terminated by pressing the Load/Eject button.) The printer will choose default values depending on
>            the current print quality, hence it is normally not necessary to specify this option and the feature is even
>            considered obsolete for post-series-500 DeskJets although it is still supported by some of them.
>
> [*] gs error:
>
> D [25/May/2004:09:31:48 -0300] [Job 1727] foomatic-gswrapper: gs '-dBATCH' '-dPARANOIDSAFER' '-dQUIET' '-dNOPAUSE' '-sDEVICE=pcl3' '-r300x300' '-sSubdevice=hpdj500' '-sColorModel=Gray' '-sMedium=0' '-dDryTime=10' '-sIntensityRendering=halftones' '-dRasterGraphicsQuality=0' '-dDITHERPPI=60' '-dMaxBitmap=8388608' '-sOutputFile=| cat >&3' '/dev/fd/0' 3>&1 1>&2
> D [25/May/2004:09:31:49 -0300] [Job 1727] ? pcl3: The HP DeskJet 500 does not support setting a dry time.
> D [25/May/2004:09:31:49 -0300] [Job 1727] Unrecoverable error: rangecheck in .putdeviceprops
>
> [*] Solution?
>
> I don't have any at this time, sorry.

Removed the DryTime option from all printers which do not support it
according to "man gs-pcl3".

> Epson-EPL-6200L:
> ===============
>
> [*] Problem:
>
> Default driver, epl6100l, does not support the printer.
>
> [*] Solution?
>
> Maybe it's just a type.. shouldn't it be pointed to epl6200l ?

Fixed.

> HP-DesignJet_2500CP:
> ===================
>
> [*] Problem:
>
> Default driver, Postscript, claims it does not support the printer.
>
> [*] Solution?
>
> I don't know if the printer really support PostScript, the current solution I
> adopted for this is changing it to another driver that was also supported,
> gimp-print.

Fixed.

> ml85p driver:
> ============
>
> [*] Problem:
>
> Bogus command line defined at drivers/ml85p.xml .
>
> [*] Solution?
>
> Current commandline: gs -q -dNOPAUSE -dPARANOIDSAFER -dBATCH -r600x600 -sDEVICE=pbmraw%A%Z -sOutputFile="|ml85p%B" - 1> /dev/null 2>&1
> My suggested: gs -q -dNOPAUSE -dPARANOIDSAFER -dBATCH -r600x600 -sDEVICE=pbmraw%A%Z -sOutputFile=- - | ml85p%B

The original command line is correct. The ml85p driver talks directly to
the parallel port, and so it has no standard output supposed to go to
the printer. Therefore its standard output has to be eliminated so that
the spooler does not open the parallel port for it and blocks it for the
direct talk of ml85p. The queue has to be configured with /dev/null as
destination device and the printer be connected to the first parallel
port. ml85p has to be SUID root, but execution rights for ml85p can be
restricted to the "lp" user/group (or whoever is executing print filters
on your system).

> oce9050 driver:
> ==============
>
> [*] Problem:
>
> Command line has a wrong newline in the middle of it, causing foomatic to
> interpret it as 2 commands.
>
> [*] Solution?
>
> I just removed the newline from there:
>
> -  <prototype>gs -q -dBATCH -dPARANOIDSAFER -dQUIET -dNOPAUSE -sDEVICE=oce9050%A%Z
> --sOutputFile=- -</prototype>
> +  <prototype>gs -q -dBATCH -dPARANOIDSAFER -dQUIET -dNOPAUSE -sDEVICE=oce9050%A%Z -sOutputFile=- -</prototype>

Fixed.

> Thanks,

Thanks for your report.

    Till