[Printing-japan] [Gimp-print-devel] Common Printing Dialog: PPD extension specs updated

Michael R Sweet msweet @ apple.com
2008年 8月 1日 (金) 10:27:20 PDT

Till Kamppeter wrote:
> Roger Leigh wrote:
>> No.  Gutenprint is a special case, because the normal case is to
>> translate into the user's language on the fly at run-time using gettext
>> and the message catalogues.  Here, we are forcing build-time generation
>> of the translations, which requires all of the needed locales to be
>> present as a prerequisite.  This is not typical.
>>
>> Does this also mean that global PPDs generated by CUPS are also
>> dependent upon the presence of locales in order to be correctly
>> translated?  If we could detect a locale is missing, it might be better
>> to skip and/or warn about that.
>>

> CUPS DDK can create globalized PPDs from po/ directories somehow. Mike,
> is it able to do so without all locales installed?

We don't use gettext or rely on the system-installed locales (and
never have because gettext isn't portable and developers rarely
install every locale...)