[Printing-japan] [Printing-architecture] Ubuntu Natty the first distribution which does automatic download of binary printer driver packages

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Mon Jan 31 02:43:58 PST 2011

Hello Yuji, hello Michael,

yuji.saito at avasys.jp [2011-01-21 11:36 +0900]:
> But I tried it in my company, it had a problem and didn't work. It was
> because of proxy.

I now fixed two things in current Natty:

ubuntu-system-service (0.1.21) natty; urgency=low

  * debian/control: Fix Vcs-Bzr to point to actual branch.
  * backend/system-service-d: Fix D-Bus type of start-time argument to unbreak
    polkit query. This makes global proxy settings etc. work again.
  [...]

 -- Martin Pitt <martin.pitt at ubuntu.com>  Mon, 31 Jan 2011 09:48:34 +0100

jockey (0.8-0ubuntu5) natty; urgency=low

  * data/handlers/nvidia.py: Fix typo.
  * backend/com.ubuntu.DeviceDriver.service: Export {http,https,ftp}_proxy
    variables from /etc/environment into the backend. (LP: #373795)

 -- Martin Pitt <martin.pitt at ubuntu.com>  Mon, 31 Jan 2011 11:31:56 +0100

I don't have a proxy, but I verified that with above changes, I can
now set a proxy in System -> Preferences -> Network proxy (and apply
it globally), and then run jockey. The backend now has the http_proxy
(etc.) environment variables and uses them, as I get "connection
refused" errors.

>    And, in addition, I think it might be better that gpg uses http access
>    to port 80 instead of hkp access by default, considering the users in
>    the enterprise or the organization.

I committed the change to Jockey now, but didn't upload it yet.

> 3. In apt-get
>    [System]-[Preferences]-[Network Proxy] (gnome-network-properties)
>    doesn't set proxy for apt, so jockey can't download the driver. Ubuntu
>    10.10 or older, gnome-network-properties could set proxy for apt.
>    I created file like below, and jockey could download the driver.
> # cat <<EOF > /etc/apt/apt.conf
> Acquire::http::Proxy "http://proxy.example.com:port";
> EOF

This sounds like another bug in either apt or ubuntu-system-service.
The latter is supposed to set the proxy configuration for apt as well.
So either the bug is that apt doesn't respect the proxy settings in
/etc/environment, or that ubuntu-system-service doesn't write a proper
apt configuration. Michael, how is this supposed to work?

Thanks,

Martin