[Security_sig] Re: Andrew Morris interview

Gé Weijers Ge.Weijers at Sun.COM
Thu Sep 2 21:28:19 PDT 2004

Cihula, Joseph wrote:

> Ge',
>
> Could you send me a link to the interview that you mentioned (about
> how much code has changed).
>
> Thanks,
> Joe Cihula
> Intel Corp.
> *** These opinions are not necessarily those of my employer ***

Joe,

After some googling I now believe it was not an interview, but a speech
Andrew gave at the '04 Ottawa Linux Symposium. The transscript is here:

Quote:
"What else can we do to accommodate all these new requirements and all
this new code? We need to be able to accommodate, within the stable
kernel, large changes and a high rate of change without breaking the
code base. Across the lifetime of the 2.6 kernel we’ll see many changes
as features are added and as we support new hardware. And the rate of
change within the kernel has sped up. If we look at the changes in the
first six months from the release of 2.4.0 and compare that to the
changes from the first six months after the release of 2.6.0, in 2.4 we
deleted 22,000 lines and added 600,000 lines. And in 2.6 we deleted
600,000 lines and added 900,000 lines. In the first six months. That’s
1.5 million lines were changed in a 6.2 million-line tree, a 64 MB diff
in the first six months of the stable kernel. We changed a quarter of it!"

I'm thinking of running a diff between two versions of FreeBSD six
months apart, I'm sure it's not a 1.5 million line change.

Ge'

Gé Weijers                          mailto:ge.weijers at sun.com
Linux Software Engineering          Tel: (877)240-7611 x69536
Sun Microsystems, Inc.              Fax: (877)240-7611
=== Expressed opinions are my own, I do not speak for Sun ===