[Tech-board-discuss] TAB Nomination

Laura Abbott laura at labbott.name
Sat Nov 10 18:44:12 UTC 2018

I'd like to nominate myself for the TAB. I sometimes blog about the kernel
community and this is a chance for me to actually put my money where
my mouth is.

I've been working in the kernel community long enough at this point that
people know who I am as a Fedora kernel maintainer and a contributor
in the security and ARM areas. I also joined the kernel community recently enough
that I can remember what it was like to be a beginner starting out. I usually
tell people that I've had a fairly positive experience in the kernel community
and I'd like to make sure that everyone can have an even better experience.
The kernel community has certainly grown and changed over the years
and it's important to both reflect on how far we've come and what else we
can do to make things better.

I was certainly in favor of seeing a stronger code of conduct as the previous
code of conflict had deficits in certain areas. I've also learned a lot reading
the objections people had to both the code of conduct itself and how it
was implemented. I strongly believe that a strong code of conduct and
a being a community that values technical excellence are well aligned goals.
Continuing to discuss these issues transparently is an going to be an important
point going forward.

The TAB has worked on a number of tricky issues such as malicious GPL
compliance for the betterment of the kernel community. I'd like to see
the TAB continue to work on issues like the Code of Conduct and also
think about what more can be done to work on building up new contributors
and maintainers to support the existing maintainers. I don't believe I have
all the answers or will always be right but I look forward to the chance to
learn and help serve the kernel community.

Thanks,
Laura