[Tech-board-discuss] TAB Nomination

Dan Williams dan.j.williams at intel.com
Sat Nov 10 20:52:03 UTC 2018

Please add my name to the list of nominees for this year's TAB elections.

The responsibilities of a TAB member were a mystery when I ran
unsuccessfully in 2015, and were still unclear when I was elected in
2016. The common thread of motivation to try again in 2016 and stand
now in 2018 remains. It remains, tempered, but also strengthened by
the events of the past TAB term. The motivation is my perception is
that there is more work to be done to help scale maintainer resources,
and keep pace with the growth of new contributors and new problem
spaces.

I signed-off on the Code of Conduct as a starting point for a wider
discussion. I perceived that in some areas the project was falling
short of the Code of Conflict's stated of goal of fostering "be
excellent to each other" discourse, or that interactions were not
living up to the Management Style sentiment that "it's best to
remember not to burn any bridges, bomb any innocent villagers, or
alienate too many kernel developers". A baseline conduct document
frees us up to apply focus to wider process discussions. It seeks to
address exceptional cases and makes space to continue the work of
optimizing our day-to-day processes.

It has become clear to me that the "TA" in TAB is less about about
technical advice, and more about performing the role of a Trusted (by
the community) Adviser. Select people to the TAB that you trust to act
in the best interests of the long term health of the Linux Kernel
project. It is my hope that the past 13 years of my active
participation in the project has demonstrated an ability to listen and
respond to community concerns, and advocate for the health and
sustainability of the project.